Hope you all had a relaxing holiday. Everything is beginning to move at a more rapid pace with two committee weeks in January and three in February prior to the March 3rd start of the session.
Here is the latest information that we have as of today:
· We are still on track regarding each of the 7 points of our legislative platform.
· OPPAGA’s presentation (Mark Baird) to the House Higher Ed and Workforce Subcommittee yesterday was positive and reinforced our mission as the premier occupational training centers in the State. Mark also introduced their review of Technical Colleges and our quest to become one. Please view his presentation at http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/VideoPlayer.aspx?eventID=2443575804_2014011025&committeeID=2712. His presentation starts at about 1:27.
· On Wednesday, January 15, we are going to make a presentation at 10:00 to the Senate Appropriations Committee on Workforce Education and Technical Centers. We have been working with the DOE (Rod/Tara), and the Senate Staff (Tim Elwell/Mark Armstrong) to re-familiarize the Committee as to who we are and what we do.(The committee requested Bob Crawford, Diane Culpepper and Doug Wagner to present.)
· The House has almost completed its draft of “the bill” that will come forth through the Higher Ed Committee. We have been working with them Heather Sherry and Kathy Mizereck to develop the actual bill language. (We have not actually seen “the bill”, but have responded to questions from staff.)
· Please continue to meet with your local legislators, business/industry and others regarding our value and worth in putting people to work.
· Our tag line of “Career In A Year” has stuck, so please use this to sell our message of Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.
· We plan to conduct a webinar through FACTE before the end of January to bring everyone up to date on where we are and next steps. Marsan will send out the information soon. Please get everyone to watch, listen and participate.
· We need to keep the pressure on to move our agenda forward. Thank you again for all that each of you have done to date.